8.28.2006

the box

Recently S. and I signed up to receive weekly boxes of produce from Door to Door Organics. It's similar to CSA, as we receive (primarily) local, organic produce, and we can even choose what we want based on a list of possible substitutions, which we enter on the website. Our first box came on Thursday and it was like Christmas in August: plums like red orbs, romaine lettuce, stunningly beautiful swiss chard, peaches, roma tomatoes, yellow onions, carrotts with their wonderfully unruly tops, sweet corn. A little worm came along for the ride, hidden in the silks of one of the ears. Being from Ohio, and having worked for a produce stand (supported by its own farm) for eight summers of my life, I understand wormy corn. I know that the chemicals used by conventional farmers are designed to keep those worms at bay. Because this is organic corn, however, worms are common, and sometimes they don't do much damage outside of creating a mushy mess on the end of the ear. But in this particular case, the whole ear was affected and so I wrote to Door to Door to tell them that they sent me a bad ear. I loved this response:

"When purchasing organic corn, either from us, Whole Foods, Wild Oats,or whoever, you may find worms in it. The worms are a great source of protein if you choose to eat them.
Because worms are a part of the organic corn experience we only offer a 1 time credit for the corn. I applied this credit to your account."

Oh BLESS YOU, Mat with one T. How nice of you to grant me this one time credit. And how hilarious that you suggested that I eat the worm for protein. I may be a spoiled American, but I draw the line at eating worms.

I wrote back Mat with one T and told him as much. He then responded with:

"Believe it or not, we actually have a few customers who specifically request that we save the worms for them. I know what you're saying though, I personally do not eat the worms either."

Who are these worm eaters? How exactly does one prepare a worm? Are the green grubs dipped in chocolate and rolled in nuts? Are they fried like a pork rind and served with a side of ranch? Inquiring (grossed out) minds want to know. I mean, if I'm missing some great source of protein (I bet one worm qualifies as a WW zero point food!) then maybe I should ask Mat with one T to save me some worms, too.

Mmmm, worm po'boy.
Mmmm, worm coulis.

1 Comments:

At 2:59 PM MDT, Blogger Stine said...

worm mini-kebabs (use toothpicks)
worm satay with peanut sauce
worm a l'orange (or perhaps,
kumquat)
wormarrones (spicy and regular)
spinach salad with a worm-bacon vinaigrette
worm-dogs (again, toothpicks in place of the usual sticks, but keep that corn batter coating)
sloppy worms


I suggest serving all of the above on earthenware.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home