8.14.2006

what is OP, anyway?

I've been musing on this one, because, well, I'm not so sure I know exactly what this means anymore. I mean, I used to have this idea that it was about some kind of strict adherence to cleanliness or something. But lately, I've had days where I was not a super-upright citizen, but still was OP. I say this because I had beer and soy crisps, which, under my previous model would have qualified as so NOT OP, but now I'm kind of looking at the overall balance of foods, and exercise, and after adding it all up, I'm within a decent range of points, and I'm calling today OP. Is OP a state of mind, like, if I feel like I'm not out of control do I call it OP, and if I feel out of control but still within points (is this possible?) do I call that not OP? Maybe I'm trying to blur some edges with myself, to get things to a space where I feel a little more relaxed, where I honor that some days feel rigid and some feel loose, and yet they both can be acceptable, that a little slip or slide does not have to ruin the week, that no day is worth tossing out or turning my back to, or I dunno, that the sum of all the parts, even the imperfect ones, can be a beautiful thing.

Isn't that the beauty of a program like WW? That it allows for fluctuation, imperfection, something less that utter rigidity? Isn't that why it works? And yet, how many of us feel that we can trust ourselves with that flexibility? No curfew? Come home whenever I want to?

Me, I was an exceptionally well-behaved teenager (I thought I'd win points for it, or something). As an adult, where I am only answering to myself, it's often hard to be that good girl. I always look to please others-- it's not really about honoring or respecting myself.

Maybe it's time for that to change.

2 Comments:

At 5:29 PM MDT, Blogger Maddy Avena said...

I think of OP as drinking the water, eating the minimum servings of fruits and veggies or any combo thereof and staying within points. There is the subjective part: My daily points are free and clear. My APs are negotiated for more food. Flex points are part of the overall plan, and if I eat them and still have some left at the end of the week, technically, I'm OP. The subjective part is that if I want to lose weight, then eating flex points rarely works for that, but if I don't eat over 35 of them, then technically I'm OP.
If I allow the objectivity of the program (daily points allowance, eating APs and flex points) to dictate OP, then I've been OP since day one and let me tell you, sister, that FEELS GOOD and I feel SUCCESSFUL and feeling successful creates more success and that's what perpetuates MORE OPness.
And then there's EOP: Effortlessly OP, when you KNOW you're eating clean and light and just right for your body and it's EASY.
And our bodies are so complex that that also changes what OP means to our bodies on any given day. I mean, who's to say that soy crisps are BAD and tofu is GOOD on any given day. It's too black and white in a reality that is built of shades of grey. Because of that, for me, the objective OP of WW is where I hold the line.
OK! After all that, I need some peanut butter and bread!
xoxo
Maddy
Oh and by the way? I've been meaning to tell you that your most recent pic on the Yahoo group has you looking mighty fine, sexy and slim. :-)

 
At 4:13 PM MDT, Blogger Stine said...

Ah, nothing like a NOT OP day to highlight the beauty of OPness (and the lately elusive EOPness). I'm doing better now though, I figured the points and journaled them as "crapola--8."

more on this above, though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home