7.21.2006

oooh, that smell. the smell of it surrounds you...

when I ride to my catering job, there are two different routes I can take. One, through the locks and then Magnolia, exposes me to the rather flavorul waft of Fish and Chips production at Trident Seafoods. The other, through Fremont, then up and over Dexter Avenue, brings me past Hostess Cakes. Hostess Cakes often emits the unmistakable scent of glazed fruit pies as I pedal by.

I'm not gonna stop my bike and saunter in to either location. But I do find it interesting to note the power of smell, and how it can make you feel, well, insane or, perhaps, like you'd like to relinquish all self-control to either sugar or grease. And it isn't the sugar or grease itself, but maybe the memories lodged therein, the comfort (or so you thought) contained in an Apple Pie or Fish Sticks, and how strange for me that after all these years, I still haven't shaken all that loose.

perhaps I'll find a new route in-- one that sends out the unmistakable aroma of love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home