9.06.2006

a little something to gnaw on

I just read two separate little blurbs about how research shows that eating breakfast within one hour of waking/rising is highly beneficial to metabolism, weight loss/maintenance, etc. The idea is that you give your body a nice little kick (not unlike starting a motorcycle, really) and then it purrs along, taking in 4 more meals or so throughout the day. They also say that you'll have "used up" that first meal within about 2.5 - 3 hours.

All this time, I've been proud, happy, pleased that I DO eat breakfast, but I'm gonna admit, right here and now, that I have this weird thing about eating in the morning. It goes like this:

Go as long as you can without eating breakfast because (choose one)

a) the longer you wait, the more time will have passed, which means there will be less time in the day to eat, which means you will actually eat less, because you used up eating time by waiting (nevermind the bit where you can, in one sitting eat a bunch of crap and cancel out all that monk-like piety of the mini-fast).

b) if you wait to eat until right before you set out on your bike, you'll have better access to the calories you just consumed, thus kicking ass on the way to work, gettin there faster (over-rated), feeling like a power princess. (this one, may or may not be true, but it occurrs to me in writing it, that there might be other options)

I'm not big on diet craze advice, but I am wondering about the timing of my meals, and breakfast, in particular. So I'm gonna try this eating within one hour thing.

Here I go.

1 Comments:

At 10:29 AM MDT, Blogger forward hope said...

I have this friend who runs a lot in the morning and she never eats before her run. I find this a tad unnerving, as I have this thing about fueling up before exercise because I'm convinced that I will burn more calories (more efficiently) that way. She says that she can't run if she's eaten anything. I suppose the jiggling of jogging might make me feel the same way, but that might just be the jiggling of my jugs talking. They are, after all, big hoochie mamas (and I love them).

How did I get from not eating breakfast to talking about my boobs? Only the subconscious knows for sure...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home