1.25.2009

falling back now

It wouldn't be the first time the word BALANCE has graced ol' CTF bloggo, but here it is again, 2009-style. It's the 25th of January and I've been sick half of those days...first it was a wicked stomach flu, and now I'm down with bronchitis. So what, pray tell, does my being continally ill have to do with balance? Everything.

I am not a woman who does well with resolutions, because I don't like being held accountable for things that I'm not convinced I want follow through on long term. Better to let the wishes pile up in my gut until I'm forced to scrape the top off, pick one or two things to work on, and keep the rest stuffed deep. Better not to verbalize my intense desire to Behave/Move/Create in a new way. One problem: This is no longer working.

See, counterintuitive behaviors, it appears, are eating me alive. I'm not taking good enough care of myself because I resent having to CARE. I can be such a petulant adolescent when it comes to making good (healthier) choices. Really, I'm not as bad as I make it sound...most of the time I DO make good choices, but when I make bad ones--like last Monday's day of debauchery in Colorado Springs--I pay for them. Then again, it's not fair for me to blame myself for getting this sick. Bronchitis happens. It may have happened regardless of my smoking a side of pig in my lungs. But eventually, I have to take responsibility for my well-being--I have to WANT to live differently, and not allow myself to fall into the same patterns of "fun" or "crisis-dealing."

So here's what I resolve: a break. For this body. A break from things that aren't beneficial to the whole. I resolve to give myself time to be gentle and thoughtful and to FEEL my body as it is NOW. After all, I spend a good deal of time being the opposite of all of those things. In many ways, this is like going to a country where I don't speak the language and know nary a soul. The language part is true; the knowing no one who can show me around the place, not so true. I need to reach out to the people who are on the side of health and well-being. I know who they are. They know who they are. It's like I'm on an office retreat and we're on Day 3 when we tromp into the woods for our Trust Exercises, and I'm standing on the short edge of a picnic table. Below me, a group of women wait with their arms stretched before them, laced together to form a net that will catch me as I fall back. The sun is filtering through the canopy of trees, and I can see sky and clouds beyond. I am falling back now. I am trusting the strength of those arms, and my own head.

1 Comments:

At 11:13 AM MST, Blogger Chris H. said...

Forward Hope,
I just wanted to write and let you know how insightful I thought your entry was regarding Christopher McCandless. I know it's a past dated entry and has nothing to do with the one I'm commenting on. (I wasn't sure you'd get this if I commented on an earlier article so forgive my blogging ineptitude) I recently watched the movie, read the book, and listened to the soundtrack (REPEATEDLY) and was moved in a way that has never happened to me before. I read the Park Ranger's response and I side with you. I think he's a douche for saying that Chris knowingly or unknowingly committed suicide. I don't buy it for a millisecond. It's like the first lyric in Rise: "Such is the way of the world, we can never know, just where to put all your faith, and how will it grow". That Park Ranger simply just has no idea what was going on in Chris' head. Chris' circumstances created in him a violent and necessary paradigm shift. One that only the person who experienced it first hand, can truly understand. I know the words of someone who has no desire to live. And I don't see one instance of it in all of Chris' words or actions. And a desire to separate yourself from this world is not a mental disorder by any means. To me, solitude is a chance to refuel, to gather your bearings, a launching point into life. The person who sits in one spot for their entire life, now that's pure fucking insanity. I think Chris used the same magnifying glass that he did on the outside world on himself quite regularly. Over the course of my life I have thought many times about just ending it. Just saying fuck it and to be done with it. And one day I realized just how selfish I was being. Chris' words were a selfless examination of the true nature of life, man, and existence.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home