10.28.2006

gifted

The photo at right was taken at the Denver Botanic Gardens two days after our wedding reception...it was such a stunning day...


So yeah, we cleaned up in the wedding gift arena. I just pulled four mini loaves of whole wheat banana bread from the oven--the mini pans were a gift. Last week, we experimented with our new Crock-pot and tried preparing the terribly prosaic Presbyterian/Methodist/Lutheran chicken dish (so tell me, what was the denomination of your Campbell's soup, rice and chicken casserole?) and it worked for the most part, though I think it's more of an oven dish...this version lacked the crustiness that forms along the edges, which I love. I think it might work if we cooked it on low for six hours or so, but given that we were working with boneless chicken breasts, I fear that by the time the rice had absorbed all the liquid and crusties had formed, the chicken would be so rubbery it would take on the character of a super ball. Mmmmm, chewy.

We also received a panini press, a tomato knife (how can any kitchen be without one?), a gorgeous 10 inch Calphalon omelette pan, and a Weber charcoal grill. New dishes, napkins, napkin rings, skewers, decorative serving plates and platters. An ice cream scoop. Art. A handknitted throw (you rock JJ. We were beyond touched). Poetry. Our very own poem. Champagne flutes. Bottles of wine. I knew couples cleaned up when they got married, but I never imagined cleaning up this much.

I should be writing thank you notes. I must write some today. We're doing them in stages so as not to incite massive hand cramping. We are thankful, awesomely so. S. and I feel touched by magic, actually, and though might sound cheesy and dramatic, so many wonder-filled and touching things have happened to us around our marriage that no other word will suffice. Magic is all there is. And it's just right, tinged with the otherworldly and the unexpected. It covers us and warms us like that beautiful handmade blanket, and we don't want to move for fear that this bliss will end.

And of course it will end. That's just the way life goes, like one endless roller coaster that affords you tremendous views, heart-stopping speed and moments of abject fear. For now I'm just enjoying the view. I'm cooking my little heart out and trying to figure out where the hell we're going to put all of our marital bounty.

And I keep thinking about having a baby...

1 Comments:

At 7:35 AM MST, Blogger Stine said...

if you want my crockpot Posole recipe you just gimme the holler...

congrats to yous twos!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home