9.10.2008

veggin' out ~ a snapshot


It's been almost a month since I stopped eating meat. One day, S. said "I really want to try going meatless" and I said "Okay." Just like that. It's strange how that happens...when you plan plan plan to make a change, it's harder to make. Or so it seems in my world. In this case, there was no pressure. Nothing was going to happen to me if I ate meat...no one was going to come and wag a finger in my face and say "bad girl, animal killer!" and I was pretty sure that my digestive system would be fine either way. Maybe that's why I've been able to stick to it.

There's another reason, though, that has only come to light in the past week or so. See, it's hard for me to understand what "well being" feels like. I cannot recall a time in my life when I truly felt GREAT! physically. If it wasn't my ear, it was my sinuses; if it wasn't my sinuses, it was my back issues; and then the VN came and paid me a loooong visit and life has not been the same since. Most days, I feel pretty normal. I'll have moments where the ground beneath me shifts, like a mini-personal-earthquake, and I have to blink hard (as if that will make everything better) so I can recalibrate my balance. But for the most part, I'm back to normal in that area.

So anyway, this vegetarian approach to eating--I *think* I DO feel better. Lighter. Less puffy, more energetic. There are moments when all I want is to dump my face in a vat of green chile (avec pork), since it's the season for it, and Hatch chile trucks are all up and down Federal Avenue, their roasters firing all day, the smell of fall and New Mexico and rellenos filling the air. The last time I tried to make veggie green chile I failed miserably, but I'm going to try it again. I haven't even scratched the surface of vegetarian cooking, and that's exciting! Honestly, I don't know how long this little "experiment" will last, but who knows...it might just become a way of life.

2 Comments:

At 8:23 PM MDT, Blogger Maddy Avena said...

It's a brave new world. Next thing you know, like me, you'll be writing a cookbook...hey! Then there'll be the US tour. We could have a blast on our vega*n cookbook tandem tour, don't you think?
(I'm so proud of you ;-)

 
At 9:43 AM MDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're taking exactly the right approach! The only way I could take the plunge initially was to say to myself, I don't have to stick with this, I can always go back to eating meat, but I'm going to give this a try...

As I told S., I think it's something that you're always tweaking, being vegetarian. You're always figuring out whether it makes sense for you to live that way, and whether you can build all of the habits and lifestyle changes being a healthy, satisfied vegetarian entails. So it's a constant process of checking in with yourself about that identification.

Which I think is great. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home