8.29.2008

an auntie's letter to the future

Dear...
Luke
Josh
Fiona
Eliza
Adeline
Magnolia &
Alexander Paul...

Last night I witnessed history. Approximately 75,000 people crowded into Mile High stadium to see Barack Obama accept the Democratic party's nomination. We waited in a line that stretched two+ miles and snaked through parking lots, up and down hills, across busy streets...it was mayhem, but it was also very very exciting.

A big theme of this presidental race is change...and keeping our sights on the future, promising one another that our children and our children's children will not inherit an earth that is completely devastated by environmental neglect nor blown to smithereens by people who believe that the United States is a den of hell and should be destroyed nor at the bottom of the economic barrel with a zillion dollar deficit and no healthcare for millions of hardworking Americans.

Everytime I hear Obama reference children (as a reason to CHANGE the course of this country), I think of all of you. I do not have children of my own, and don't know if that will ever happen. There are certain biological absolutes that I cannot overcome in order to have a child. (Ask your parents about that one. And while you're at it, just for me, ask them "Mom, Dad, can you tell me about the birds and the bees?" They'll LOVE that one.) But my being childfree does not mean that I am without cause to fight for the future...to the contrary, I feel a great responsibility to those that I consider my "love children." You know who you are. You may be the closest thing that I know when it comes to seeing a child grow up and become a responsible, well-rounded adult. I am so excited about that! I cannot wait to see what becomes of all of you...and I hope I'm still a part of your annual celebrations...I hope I can always be a shoulder on which you can lean or cry.

YOU are why Barack Obama must be our next president.
YOU are what he's thinking of when he speaks of Hope...you and his own daughters.
YOU are a blessing in my life and in Auntie S's life, too.
YOU are tomorrow's leader, tomorrow's policy maker, tomorrow's community organizer, tomorrow's artist.
YOU must carry on the work that is starting NOW and will continue for many years to come.

Malo boys, I have an engraved metal piece that your mom gave me--it reads "what would you attempt to do if you could not fail?" All of you:

Failure is not an option any more.
With every step you take in this world, you must keep your faith and conviction close at hand. Faith in things unseen but powerful; conviction in those beliefs instilled in you by your parents. Be bold and be honest; don't fear difference, because that which is different from us can teach us; leave no trace; respect your elders; work hard and play harder. Much harder.

When I enter the voting booth in November, I will do so surrounded by the spirit of each and every one of you. I will see, in my mind's eye, your smiles and hear your laughter. I will recall holding your small hands in mine, so soft--I will remember your rumpled, warm bodies waking from a nap, the smell of your sleepy heads, the way you leaned in to me when we read a book together.

I will vote for Barack Obama in this election because I believe he is the one to secure a safe and prosperous future for all of you. Please let history prove me right!

I carry you all in my heart. Always.

Auntie Meghan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home