8.14.2007

it was late in the evening


I've wanted to talk about this for a while. Years, really. Afterall, Sophia turns 5 in November, and you'd think I'd have come to terms with her by now.

First, I'm not a perfectionist. Far from it. And I'm also thankful for this body. Daily. And now I'm gonna admit to the pain that's lodged in the right side of my abdomen. It's the pain of a lost illusion (be that physical perfection or great credit or a government that actually takes care of its [middle-incomed and] poor and ill), of things not going as planned, of the kind of detour that makes you forget where you started out and causes you to rechart the course you're on. Sophia, she's part of me, and ultimately, my life's better for the experience. It's just that I wish she wasn't so damn ugly. So obvious. So weird.

All is vanity. It seems so shallow. The funny thing is, vanity has never been my strong suit. So this tension I feel with my Lady the Scar, it's a sign that I've actually started to engage with the surface of my physical self. Vital? Not necessarily. Important? I think so.

And how do I find some peace with this? I don't know that I can ever be fully okay with what went down (understanding your mortality does that, as does the ripple effect of all those hospital bills). I look at my belly and I wonder what I'd be like without this big jutting scar. I have no feeling around the line of the incision-- and maybe that's what I'm like around this-- I can't quite connect to accepting it, to seeing this flaw and accepting it as legacy, as personal lore, as-- believe it or not-- part of how I found the way to better health and fitness. But that's it-- this ugly thing associated with terrible weakness and pain is tied inextricably to finding my strength, my power, my way.

Whoa.

1 Comments:

At 12:03 PM MDT, Blogger Maddy Avena said...

Tara has a wicked scar on her belly from where the kidney removal happened. Different than yours but also such an agent of many things. Tara is the grrl who has always worn low cut pants down to her pubic line. For a couple of years she didn't and that made me sad to witness what is probably the biggest body un-ease she's ever had about anything.
For me? I look at that scar and know to the bottom of my toes and the center of my bones that that scar is beautiful because she is alive due to its presence.
And you are alive because of yours. It makes me think of Deena Metzger having a tree tattooed over where her cancerous breast used to be.
Witnessing you being brave in engaging the surface.
Blessed be,
Maddy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home