3.12.2006

big invisible me

It's a great paradox: taking up more space and becoming invisible.

I think about this in terms of culture and self. As fat people, we are seen, then ignored. I think it's a repulsion thing. A turning away. As though looking at us too long will turn the viewer into us. There are undertones of politeness strewn in-- as in, don't look at the person with the deformity, don't draw attention. This may read like oversimplification. Maybe it is. But then it goes deeper. I don't know that we are seen as being as human as fit people. We don't look familiar, like the signifier (forgive my deconstructionist tone here) of a human. We're not the drawing, the textbook representation, the image from the 3rd grade photostrip. We are, in our own way, Frankenstein. Off the slab of childhood, of culture gone decadently mad, of familial dysfunction and comfort where we can find it. We amble through life awkwardly at times, not because we aren't capable, but rather, we are encumbered.

I'll drop the we, because it's getting patronizing, I fear.

I've walked through life encumbered with this coping mechanism, and to some extent, a series of beliefs about my own capabilities. Some of these I learned early on, and I'm not gonna say I was traumatized by Junior High Gym class, but as a fat kid, there were things I couldn't do. No hurdles. No climbing up the rope. No running "cross country" in anything under 11 minutes. No gold shorts in the President's Fitness Challenge every year. But I could throw and I could kick. So I tried to take pride in those things, but right underneath was this knowledge that there were all these other things I wasn't so great at. Sure, I was an A student. I knew I had smarts, but I believe that knowledge of my athletical abilities-- my sense of a physical self-- was already nagging at me.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, and I've been lucky enough to have a few experiences that have shown me my physical capabilities. It's just that there is a way where I want so hard to not be in the way. I still feel it. If someone is pushing a cart past in practicum, and I suck in my gut and scootch in as hard a possible, and they still graze me as they pass, there's this cringe that has to do with it all being my fault. Nevermind the tiny space we're working in. It's a feeling of always being in the way. It's hard to shake. I don't know that folks who've been thin/average their whole lives carry this.

There's another element of the invisibility. It's a way to be dismissed. To be seen as incapable, as undisciplined (these are, afterall, the big beliefs), as genderless, harmless, I don't know what else. I've been stuck here, and I've hidden here. It's kept me from change (bad change, bad) and it's held me in my own little cocoon and kept me feeling safe (and warm, yes warm). It's also left me fucking depressed, because I've bought into all those misconceptions and beliefs. I've seen myself through the eyes of this culture and I'm gonna say it right now: I've despised myself.

This is starting to feel like a Sunday confessional. It's not. So in the interest of winding things up and moving out and into my day, I'll tell you that I'm armed with this information. I'm watching it. I'm asking myself how I comply with it, and how I'm gonna shake it up, and off, and move further out into the world.

Here I go.

2 Comments:

At 9:37 AM MST, Blogger Maddy Avena said...

A great paradox, indeed. When I circled in the hetero world, I noticed myself becoming invisible the more weight I gained and the older I got. In a way it was a relief, this becoming invisible, because when I was young and more slim, I felt like a target. So there was this relief for a long while.
But in thinking about the larger implication, I think people turned away to hide their fear. Fear of "there but for the grace of god go I," sort of thing.
And I think there is this cultural hardwiring to not STARE at someone. The way fat manifests on each person is *interesting* to look at, but then you are objectifying the other person and that's "bad manners."
I mean if staring/objectifying is bad manners, then we "shouldn't" stare at ANYONE! Fat, thin, sexy, beautiful, ugly....we "should" just walk the world with blinders on and alway look for the spirit having the human experience and forget about the casings....(the ""s are about my aversion to the word should. The sentences are me trying to be ironic as I don't really feel this way and look at people all the time, and I too am trying to unravel this invisibility thing.)
When I was fat I bumped into things a lot. I bumped into things alot because in my *head* I was still this 150ish lb person, but in my body I was 200 lbs. Or 180 lbs. All of a sudden, back at 150 lbs after a 20 year hiatus, I am not bumping into things. I think the inner picture of how big I was has never really changed in this spatial relations way.
And I so get the kid thing. I loved track but the damn competition instead of just the joy of *doing* made it so hard for me. I never ran the 50 yd dash in less than 8 seconds. I got winded whenever I ran the 500. Like had to breathe into a paper bag. No one ever taught me to breathe right and here I am at 45, just learning to drop my diaphragm and breathe into my belly and lower lungs.
But the shining physical moments for me were always about riding horses, because I was good at that and no matter how "big" I was as a kid/teen, I was never "too big" for a horse. So my prowess at riding was the expression of my version of grace. I'm glad I got to have that.
(I couldn't climb the ropes either)
Maddy

 
At 4:01 PM MST, Blogger forward hope said...

Beautiful Dudelette, you move out into the world well-armed and you make your delicious ravioli and you remember...

Fucking cheese or not, we WILL learn to shake it off. The awareness is half the battle.

So shoot to kill.

M

 

Post a Comment

<< Home